Pale Moon Sync service
The Pale Moon Sync service is a Sync 1.1 (Weave-based) synchronization
service for Pale Moon browser users.
It allows the synchronization of data between Pale Moon browser
instances using an e-mail and password as account credentials.
This service is governed by the Pale Moon Sync Terms
To check on the server status, please go here: https://pmsync.palemoon.net/status/
What is Pale Moon Sync for?
When talking about "data", this comprises, by your choice:
- Synchronizing data between different desktop/laptop
- Synchronizing data between desktop.laptop computers and
mobile devices (e.g. tablet, phone)
- Synchronizing data between Pale Moon on different operating
- Open tabs
- Browsing history
- Form history
- Extensions (add-ons)
- Preferences (limited subset)
What is Pale Moon Sync not for?
Pale Moon Sync is a free courtesy service with no guarantees of availability.
It has not been designed with other use than synchronization in mind,
- It's not for backing up your data to the server or
restoring from it
- It's not for corporate/high-availability use. There is no
SLA or up-time guarantee.
- It's not for synchonizing data between Pale Moon and other
(although it's possible to sync with other Weave 1.1 compatible
clients, the Pale Moon server is not calculated on the required
capacity for additional clients. If you are a client developer and want
to use the Pale Moon server in lieu of setting up your own, you must contact me to discuss
- It's not for anything that would be in violation of the Terms of Service.
Technical details, encryption of data and security
A few points about the technical details of the sync service to note,
also for the average user:
- Pale Moon Sync encrypts all your data before it is sent to the server.
This encrypted data can only be recovered with your personal recovery
key that is stored in your browser. If
you lose your recovery key, you lose access to the data on the
server because it cannot be recovered/decrypted without this key.
- Pale Moon Sync allows you to recover your sync account in
case you lose your key, but any data on the server will be removed
since it cannot be recovered without the key.
- If your Pale Moon Sync account gets compromised (someone
learns your login credentials), your data is still inaccessible to
whomever compromised your account, because the encryption key is never
stored on the sync server.
(This is a key (no pun intended) difference with the "new" Firefox sync
service (Sync 1.5, in effect from Firefox 29 onwards), where a
compromised account allows the attacker to get your key and access your
- If the Pale Moon Sync server were ever to be hacked, your
data is still safe as well: Your account password is encrypted in the
database (using bcrypt), and your synced data is unrecoverable without
the recovery key that is in your possession. The server simply does not
contain the information needed to decrypt your synced data.
Of course plenty of steps are taken to prevent this from ever
happening, but being prepared for the worst case is a good thing.
- Of course, all connections to the Pale Moon Sync server are
encrypted using SSL, to prevent your sync account password from being
stolen over insecure networks.
- The Pale Moon Sync service uses industry-standard
technologies to provide an as-robust-as-possible service to you.