Redistributing Pale Moon
Even though Pale Moon is open source and the source is supplied under the Mozilla Public License,
redistribution of the Pale Moon binaries is limited by certain conditions under a
proprietary license by Moonchild Productions, as permitted under 3.2b of the MPL v2.0. This has been
required because of, among other things, the increasing number of rogue/altered copies and people taking
advantage of the free availability of the browser to monetize upon, which is against Pale Moon's principles
of free software.
Last updated: 08 June 2015
If you wish to redistribute the binaries (executable form of the code) of Pale Moon, you are free to do so,
with the following limitations:
- There is NO CHARGE for the download or distribution of the browser package.
It is therefore not permitted if, without limitation:
- You charge for the download of the binary packages (e.g. paid hosting service, pay-per-download,
subscription, etc.) or access to them (password protected sites/archives/etc.)
- You charge for redistribution rights of the browser binaries, yourself (you have no rights to
- You charge for a physical medium like a CD or DVD. Example: If you provide a "cover disk" with a
printed magazine, that is considered a "no charge" item (free bonus item with
the magazine) and is therefore allowed. If you provide a disk-based magazine
(digital) that includes Pale Moon, the medium itself is paid for and considered a "charge" item, and
is therefore not allowed.
- You don't require the obligatory submission of personal data (name, e-mail, telephone number,
address, age, gender, ID, or similar) to download the binaries. If you require registration of users
before they can download Pale Moon, you are not allowed to distribute it. Users must, at all times, have
the clear and equal option to download Pale Moon
without surrendering any personal information to you.
- The binaries and/or archives are completely UNALTERED. This includes addition or removal of any
component of the browser. Redistribution is therefore not permitted if, without
- You have re-packed the browser in a different archive format (either common or proprietary)
(an exception to this is re-packaging required for specific target operating systems, e.g. rpm,
- You have added language packs/add-ons/plugins/etc.
- You have added third-party tools/toolbars/utilities/etc.
- You have changed supplied default preferences of the browser
- You include a pre-set profile
- You have removed any component from the browser package
- The binaries have been in any way infected with or include a virus, trojan, or other malware
- The binaries and program structure have been in any way obscured (e.g. by using application
virtualization) making it difficult or impossible to check for the previously listed alterations
- The binaries can be obtained without the use of third-party software not officially endorsed,
including but not limited to: download managers, stub installers, wrappers, proprietary clients or
proprietary protocols. This includes any offering of such unendorsed downloading software or methods,
regardless of offering "direct" downloads or allowed methods alongside the unendorsed ones.
- The binaries are not supplied as an integral part of a commercial/non-commercial software
package/larger works ("package"). If you wish to do this, you must contact me beforehand to obtain
permission and discuss terms. Inclusion in a package will be subject to an individual agreement (either
extemporaneous or legalized) which may or may not involve compensation.
- The binaries are not supplied as an integral part of a commercial/non-commercial website/web
service/on-line venue/etc. ("service"). If you wish to do this, you must contact me beforehand to obtain
permission and discuss terms. Inclusion in a service will be subject to an individual agreement (either
extemporaneous or legalized) which may or may not involve compensation.
- An exception applies to points 5 and 6 of this license for
educational purposes if bundled with other open source software or supplied as part of a
curriculum or in-college resource for students.
- An exception applies to point 5 of this license for inclusion of the
officially branded binaries in freely available and fully Open Source operating systems, including but
not limited to non-commercial variants of Linux, variants of BSD and ReactOS. This exception only applies
to unaltered versions of the Pale Moon binaries or officially branded variants specifically built for the
target operating system from source that have not been materially changed (including brand-specific
configurations like e.g. home page, default search engine). If any of the essential settings of the
browser are altered beyond what is strictly needed for providing a working build on the target operating
system, the exception in this point does not apply and the license defaults to point 10, instead.
- This redistribution agreement and any Individual Agreements for the redistribution of executable code
are provided by Moonchild Productions ("Moonchild", "M.C. Straver") explicitly for the Pale Moon
executable code, and not by the Initial Developer or any Contributor. The Initial Developer and every
Contributor is hereby indemnified for any liability incurred by the Initial Developer or such Contributor
as a result of these terms.
- The only exception to this redistribution policy not otherwise covered in
points 7 or 8 is if the repackaged or private build with official branding has been pre-approved by
Moonchild for redistribution and is listed on this website as a contributed build. Contributed builds are
subject to a screening process, may be accepted or rejected, may be re-screened at a later time, and may
be at any time removed, in Moonchild's sole discretion, either with or without stated reason.
- If a distribution is authorized as per point 10, the contributed build may be redistributed
in unaltered form by third parties as set out in the points above and under the
- If you wish to distribute binaries for other platforms, building from Pale Moon source code, you may
not use official branding unless these builds have also been approved as a contributed build as per point
10 of this license or if they are exempt under points 7 or 8 of this license. Even so, you obtain no
rights to the Pale Moon name or logo, merely the permission to use it for the 3rd party build, and only
for as long as it is officially endorsed or satisfies the conditions for exemption. In all other cases
you must use significantly different branding files/graphics and a significantly different name for the
- Unofficial branding ("New Moon") as supplied in the source code may be used for unendorsed binaries
at all times. Thusly branded binaries with the New Moon logo and product name are not subject to the
endorsement and exception rules as set out in previous points of this license and may be freely
distributed in altered or unaltered form, subject to the Mozilla Public License as regards source code
changes and availability. This permission does, however, not include any rights or license to the Pale
Moon name and logo that may still be present in the resulting unofficially branded binaries.
This license may be updated without notice, so please make sure to check back on occasion if you
redistribute the browser. That being said, there is no intention of making changes to the core of this
license and the main premise of free availability behind it.
If you have any questions about this redistribution policy, think anything is in error or wish to discuss
individual redistribution terms for your specific scenario, then please contact
Pale Moon may be authorized for inclusion in commercial or non-commercial software packages in its
executable form following an individual agreement (as explained in the redistribution license above). For
reference, always contact me if it is not clear if inclusion of the Pale Moon
browser is authorized, especially when it comes to commercial software. There are some individual
agreements with software vendors, which may not be public, listed, or announced, so if
there is any doubt, get in touch with me. This will tackle two problems at once:
- If an inclusion is authorized, it potentially prevents incorrect bad press
for the company, which should never be anyone's intention. So before making
public posts about a suspected breach of the above license, always contact me to
- If an inclusion is not authorized, contacting me will alert me to the issue
at hand (I don't have the time to scour the Internet for this kind of thing) so people can be called to
order if needed.