Redistributing Pale MoonEven though Pale Moon is open source and the source is supplied under the
Mozilla Public License, redistribution
of the Pale Moon binaries is limited by certain conditions under a proprietary license by Moonchild Productions, as permitted under 3.2b of the MPL v2.0. This has been
required because of, among other things, the increasing number of rogue/altered copies and
people taking advantage of the free availability of the browser to
monetize upon, which is against Pale Moon's principles of free software.
Last updated: 2 November 2014
If you wish to redistribute the binaries (executable form of the code) of Pale Moon yourself, you are
free to do so, with the following limitations:
- There is NO CHARGE for the download or distribution of the
It is therefore not permitted
if, without limitation:
- You charge for the download of the binary packages
paid hosting service, pay-per-download, subscription, etc.) or access to them (password protected sites/archives/etc.)
- You charge for redistribution rights of the browser binaries,
yourself (you have no rights to it)
- You charge for a physical medium like a CD or DVD. If
you provide a "cover disk" with a printed
magazine, that is considered a "no charge" item (free bonus item with
the magazine) and is therefore allowed. If you provide a disk-based magazine (digital) that
includes Pale Moon, the medium itself is paid for and considered a
"charge" item, and is therefore not allowed.
don't require the obligatory submission of personal data (name, e-mail,
telephone number, address, age, gender, ID, or similar) to download the
binaries. If you require registration of users before they can download
Pale Moon, you are not allowed to distribute it. Users must, at all times, have the clear and equal option to download Pale Moon without surrendering any personal information to you.
- The binaries and/or archives are completely UNALTERED. This
includes addition or removal of any component of the browser.
Redistribution is therefore not permitted if, without limitation:
- You have re-packed the browser in a different archive format (either common or proprietary)
- You have added language packs/add-ons/plugins/etc.
- You have added third-party tools/toolbars/utilities/etc.
- You have changed supplied default preferences of the browser
- You include a pre-set profile
- You have removed any component from the browser package
- You have edited or removed text files (including license files, readmes, etc.)
- The binaries have been in any way infected with or include a virus, malware, etc.
binaries and program structure have been in any way obscured (e.g. by
using application virtualization) making it difficult or impossible to
check for the previously listed alterations
- The binaries can be obtained without the
use of third party software not officially endorsed, including but not
limited to: download managers,stub installers, wrappers, proprietary clients or proprietary protocols. This
includes any offering of such unendorsed downloading software or
methods, regardless of offering "direct" downloads or allowed methods
alongside the unendorsed ones.
- The binaries are not supplied as an integral part of a
commercial/non-commercial software package/larger works ("package"). If you wish to do this, you
must contact me beforehand to obtain permission and discuss terms. Inclusion in a package
will be subject to an individual agreement (either extemporaneous or
legalized) which may or may not involve compensation.
- The binaries are not supplied as an integral part of a
commercial/non-commercial website/web service/on-line venue/etc. ("service"). If you
wish to do this, you must contact me beforehand to obtain permission and discuss terms. Inclusion
in a service will be subject to an individual agreement (either
extemporaneous or legalized) which may or may not involve compensation.
- A notable exception applies to 5. and 6. above for educational purposes if bundled with
other open source software or supplied as part of a curriculum or
in-college resource for students.
- This redistribution agreement and any Individual Agreements
for the redistribution of executable code are provided by Moonchild Productions
("Moonchild", "M.C. Straver") explicitly for the Pale Moon executable
code, and not by the Initial Developer or any Contributor. The Initial
Developer and every Contributor is hereby indemnified for any liability
incurred by the Initial Developer or such Contributor as a result of
- The only exception
to this redistribution policy is if the repackaged or private build with official branding has
been approved by Moonchild for redistribution and is listed on this
website as a contributed build. Contributed builds are subject to a
screening process, may be accepted or rejected, may be re-screened at a
later time, and may be at any time removed, in Moonchild's sole
discretion, either with or without stated reason.
- If a distribution is authorized as per point 9, it may be redistributed in unaltered form by others as set out in the points above and under the same conditions.
you wish to distribute binaries for other platforms
built on the Pale Moon source code, you may not use official branding
unless these builds have also been approved as a contributed build as
per point 9 of this license. Even so, you obtain no rights to the Pale
Moon name or logo, merely the permission to use it for the 3rd party
build and only for as long as it is officially endorsed. In all other
cases you must use different branding files and a different name for
- Unofficial branding ("New Moon") as supplied in the source code may be used for unendorsed binaries at all times.
Thusly branded binaries with the New Moon logo and product name are not
subject to the endorsement rules as set out in previous points of this
license and may be freely distributed subject to the Mozilla Public
License as regards source code changes and availability. This
permission does, however, not include any rights or license to the Pale
Moon name and logo that may still be present in the resulting
unofficially branded binaries.
This license may be updated without notice, so please make sure to
check back on occasion if you redistribute the browser. That being
said, there is no intention of making changes to the core of this
license and the main premise of free availability behind it.
you have any questions about this redistribution policy, think anything
is in error or wish to discuss individual redistribution terms for your
specific scenario, then please contact me.
Pale Moon may be authorized for
inclusion in commercial or non-commercial software packages in its
executable form following an individual agreement (as explained in the
redistribution license above). For reference, always
contact me if it is not
clear if inclusion of the Pale Moon browser is authorized, especially
when it comes to commercial software. There are some individual
agreements with software vendors, which may not be public, listed, or
announced, so if there is any doubt, get in touch with me. This will tackle two problems at once:
- If an inclusion is authorized, it potentially prevents incorrect bad press for the company, which should never be anyone's intention. So before making public posts about a suspected breach of the above license, always contact me to verify!
- If an inclusion is not
authorized, contacting me will alert me to the issue at hand (I don't
have the time to scour the Internet for this kind of thing) so people
can be called to order if needed.