Pale Moon branding and promotional material
About the brand and copyright
Pale Moon branding, logo, and project/product names are the
Intellectual Property of M.C. Straver, the owner and lead developer of
the project. Pale Moon and the phrase "Your browser, Your way" are
Trademarks ™ for the web browser and the usage rights of the name and
logo are reserved by the owner.
All graphics related to it are author-rights protected, meaning as a
general rule you are not allowed to use it without permission. However,
to allow people to promote the browser and brand, these ownership
rights are usually not enforced when used to refer to the Pale Moon
browser on other sites and locations.
This means that for clarity, this page attempts to explain where the
line is drawn, insofar as common sense would not already dictate.
DOs and DON'Ts
Perhaps the simplest way to set the general usage guidelines for the
branding and logo is by listing a few things you can do and a few
things you cannot do. These are examples and by no means definitive or
all-inclusive. If you have any doubts about the use of the logo or
branding/name in a certain context, please do get in touch to discuss
potential usage before it is published,
DOs: You are allowed
DON'Ts: You are not
- Use the Pale Moon name and logo on your own website if it
refers directly to the browser. This includes use on software portals,
- Use the Pale Moon name and logo to promote the browser on
your own web properties, as long as you:
- Make clear you are not an official agent of Pale Moon, or
- Only promote Pale Moon when following the guidelines below, or
- Discuss the promotion with me and are given permission to promote in
a different way.
- Redistribute the officially-branded browser as long as you
adhere to the redistribution license.
- Redistribute your own build of the browser that does not
carry the official name and logo (unofficial branding is included in
the source for you to use freely).
- Use the Pale Moon name or logo on your own website when it
does not directly refer to the browser or the project.
- Claim the Pale Moon name, house style or logo for your own
project(s) or use it for your own purposes.
- Use the trademarked slogan/catch-phrase "Your browser, Your
way" for competitive products. It is a defining statement for our
browser and as long as it is actively used in accordance with common
trademark practice, you should not use it for your own project or
product, even if such a product would be derived from Pale Moon source
- Change the style or colors of the logo or wordmark, or make
- Overlay the logo with other words, icons or logos,
including but not limited to site names or URLs, watermarks, copyright
statements or third-party logos.
- Use the Pale Moon name, logo, or web presence for direct
commercial purposes (e.g. don't try to sell Pale Moon branded
- Build and distribute an officially-branded version of Pale
Moon that has not been approved as such as a third-party build or
specifically exempt from approval.
Promotional use of the Pale Moon name and/or logo
As outlined above, you are allowed to use the Pale Moon™ brand name
and/or logo for promotional purposes for the browser.
Guidelines for use:
Promotional media and examples:
- Preferred use of the logo is as a whole (round) logo, with
optionally the wordmark ("Pale Moon") to the right of it (as on the
website) or in smaller font, width-matched, immediately below it (as in
- The logo should be displayed in its full color depth and
- Alternative use is the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the logo as design
permits or desires.
- The wordmark should be displayed in the chosen font (Museo,
preferably Museo 500) and with one of the two preferred colors (#17109E
or #244C8A) although small variations are permitted to cater to your
page design. Museo 500 is a freely available web font (no-cost
- The name is "Pale Moon", not "Palemoon", "PaleMoon",
"Pale-moon", "pale moon" or "palemoon". Please use the proper, 2-word,
custom promotional slogans or catch phrases in relation to the browser
without clearing those with the owner first is strongly discouraged, to
prevent potentially undesired impressions to the public or conflicts
with other products. If you wish to use a custom slogan/catch phrase in
relation to the browser, that has not been officially published before,
then please get in touch with the owner before publication to discuss.
- In general, it is not customary or required to include the
Trademark ™ symbol when mentioning Pale Moon. For official documents it
is, however, encouraged.
currently updating our logo and branding. Please check back later for