Moon unstable releases - release notes
release notes are for pre-release versions of Pale Moon. They may
include notes for public betas and the intended "rolling" unstable
channel we have planned for the near future.
Please understand that these release notes are concise summaries,
If you find bugs in these versions, please report them in the issue tracker
on GitHub for Pale Moon. When you do so, please check if the bug has
already been reported before by others to prevent duplicate
the tracker. If you report bugs, make sure to include the build date
(as found in the about box) and provide clear information about the bug:
Also make sure that before you report a bug, that you verify if the bug
also manifests with default preferences and no installed add-ons
(preferably create a new profile to check).
indication of what version of the browser this was found in (x86, x64,
Windows, Linux, exact version and build (see "About" box)
- Clear description of the bug found, with a concise and
clear title for the issue
(include exact circumstances and exact error messages, if any)
- Steps to reproduce
(what exactly do you do to cause the bug to become apparent?)
- Expected results
(given the steps taken, what did you expect the browser to do?)
- Actual results
(what did the browser do instead of what was expected?)
Current trunk progress since release (major changes only):
- Added Windows-specific CSS parameters and queries for the
use of the system accent color. Added are parameters
-moz-win-accentcolortext, and the media query
to know if Windows is actively using an accent color.
- Changed Windows' browser CSS sheet ot use variables instead
of hard-coding colors, simplifying its style and making it more
flexible. Further cleaned up the Windows 10 specific browser style.
- Changed the theme on Windows 10 to use the new accent
colors and improve consistency.
- Fixed an issue with automatically exporting bookmarks to
HTML on shutdown.
- MSE Media updates (ongoing).
- Fixed a regression re: domains allowed to/blocked from
- Fixed several internal errors thrown in the front-end.
- Fixed more things in the Windows theme.
- Updated Windows widgets to be able to pick up Windows 10
accent colors dynamically and have the browser 's look and feel respond
accordingly, even with automatic color changes based on desktop
- Fixed several minor issues in the devtools.
- Added DOM function
- Added HTTP request method OPTIONS.
- Improved the handling of several CSS selectors.
- Added an option to exit to a no-content page after
encountering a network or security error.
- Added DOM
- Changed session storage to remember form data for https
sites by default.
- Enabled the opt-in feature to log SSL keys for HTTPS
debugging purposes on all builds.
- Added (yet another) trap prevention method to
- Removed the experimental FF4 prerelease
status-in-addressbar feature because the already-crowded address bar
needs a break. This should solve some extension interop issues, theme
issues and domain highlighting issues people have reported.
- Fixed privacy preferences not correctly resetting all
options when choosing "Remember History"
- Fixed not being able to deselect loading bookmarks in the
- Limited the display of user names and hosts in the http
auth dialog to sane lengths, preventing over-sizing issues.
- Fixed a number of potential crash points.
- Improved the security of the Windows dll loader module.
- Reinstated "Open all in tabs" option on folders of live
- Added experimental Brotli accept-encoding (alternative
compressed http data
transfer). Disabled by default for now because it causes issues.
- Added Object.values and Object.entries enumerator functions
- Added a fix to prevent the home page from being loaded (and
subsequently overridden) when restoring a session.
- Cleaned up some dead code for the plugin updater that no
- Added "Open in new private window" to bookmarks, feeds and
- Fixed a number of minor issues in the devtools.
- Made URL matching more liberal in selected text to make it
easier to open stated addresses.
- Fixed a text direction issue in preferences.
- Fixed an issue with disabled context menu entries after
- Added an option to control add-on blocklist behvior
(Options -> Security)
- Added a menu option to restart the browser.
- Fixed an issue with Graphite font rendering where automatic
font collision fixing didn't always work.
- Color Management for images is now disabled by default on
Linux, due to many distributions not having a streamlined setup with
sane default ICC profiles, which makes images look worse.
- Tightened the update security check to prevent acceptance
of update manifests that have been intercepted/replaced through https
- Updated the ANGLE library to broaden WebGL support and
reduce the potential of crashes (due to junk being sent to the video
- Added content-sniffing for WebP images (working around
CloudFront's incorrect content-type headers).
- Fixed a problem with some H.264 media not playing (SPS NAL).
- Improved timer efficiency (switch back to lower precision
when high precision is no longer needed, reducing CPU/power
- Reorganized and cleaned up the status preferences.
- Improved handling of MP3 metadata parsing; fixed a number
of searching issues and crashes.
- Improved context search on selected text/links.
- Updated address bar handling with Alt or Shift modifiers.
For a more detailed and complete list of changes, check out the commit
- Dropped support for Direct2D 1.0 to avoid font rendering
issues. Windows installations not capable of using Direct2D 1.1 will
now fall back to software rendering. As a result, fonts may look
different from this version onwards if you are on Windows Vista or
Windows 7. Users on Windows 7 affected by this should install the Platform Update to re-enable Direct2D.
- Added a potential fix for Pale Moon not starting from
- Added Object.values and Object.entries object attributes to
satisfy the spec. (27.5.0)
- Fixed image decoder calls to make sure the image load event
doesn't fire prematurely.
- Pale Moon will now clear QuotaManager storage (asm.js
cache/IndexedDB) as part of clearing Offline Website Data.