Moon unstable releases - release notes
release notes are for pre-release versions of Pale Moon. They may
include notes for public betas and the "rolling" unstable
Please understand that these release notes are concise summaries,
nothing more, and not an exhaustive record of all changes.
If you find bugs in these versions, please report them in the issue tracker
on GitHub for UXP. When you do so, please check if the bug has
already been reported before by others to prevent duplicate
the tracker. If you report bugs, make sure to include the build date
(as found in the about box) and provide clear information about the bug:
Also make sure that before you report a bug, that you verify if the bug
also manifests with default preferences and no installed add-ons
(preferably create a new profile to check).
indication of what version of the browser this was found in (x86, x64,
Windows, Linux, exact version and build (see "About" box))
- Clear description of the bug found, with a concise and
clear title for the issue
(include exact circumstances and exact error messages, if any)
- Steps to reproduce
(what exactly do you do to cause the bug to become apparent?)
- Expected results
(given the steps taken, what did you expect the browser to do?)
- Actual results
(what did the browser do instead of what was expected?)
Current trunk progress (major and recent changes
For a more detailed and complete list of changes, check out the commit
- Fixed the sync notification (infobar) icon.
- Fixed a potential cycle collector resource leak.
- Added AV1 support for MP4/MSE videos. Please note that this
is a reference library implementation and the upstream decoding lib
currently has poor performance for higher resolutions (720p+).
- Redesigned the main toolbar icons as SVG images to make
them HiDPI compliant.
- Added icons and controls to tabs to indicate if sound is
playing the tab and if so, allowing the user to mute it with a click.
This is a native implementation of the API in use in Basilisk and
performs the same function as the "expose noisy tabs" extension,
although the extension may still be preferred by some for e.g. skinning
capabilities. The feature may be disabled with
- Removed support for VR hardware.
- Reorganized the tree layout for the Pale Moon application
- Fixed out-of-bounds sizes for CSS calculation strings.
- Removed the DirectShow component since it is no longer
- Removed Firefox Accounts integration, phase 1:
- Changed the Sync client to the one from Tycho.
- Made Sync optional at build time.
- Stopped trying to cater to addons.mozilla.org since they no
longer offer anything useful to Pale Moon after the Great XUL Extension
- Added an option to process favicons for optimal sized
display and removing animations. Enable this with
- Fixed an incorrect preference reference in feed reader.
- Fixed an issue with lazy frame construction on
- Media code improvements and cleanup (ongoing).
- Updated the DropBox useragent override to solve login
- Fixed potential crashes due to shutdown observers in VTT
and font lists. DiD
- Enabled some mistakingly-disabled optimizations in the JS
- Fixed potential crashes in JS. DiD
- Fixed potential crashes in WebCrypto. DiD
- Fixed a potential crash in JS Range Analysis. DiD
- Fixed a potential crash in the layout engine due to combo
- Fixed a potential shutdown crash in non-standard
environments related to 2D Canvas. DiD
- Fixed a potential overflow in the PNG writer. DiD
- Fixed a potential double-free in the MAR signing utility.
- Fixed an issue where URLs could be extracted cross-origin (CVE-2018-18494).
- Updated NSPR to v4.20.
- Updated NSS to 3.41, providing (among other things) full
compatibility with the final version of TLS 1.3 on websites.